Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Welcome

Two months ago, I installed Linux on my home PC and booted Windows XP for the last time*. This weblog will document my journey as a relative computer novice into the often bewildering world of open-source OS.

There are some compelling reasons why home users will prefer Linux to Windows, and some real headaches that this leap will create. I hope to document both here from my perspective, and to help others who are making the transition.

Linux is, by its very nature, a collaborative process -- as I hope this weblog will be. You may see things that are controversial, oversimplified, or just plain wrong. I hope you will take the time to respond, correct, and assist as you are able.

Overall, I have enjoyed Linux, although installing and maintaining it has taken significantly more time than I ever anticipated. It may be free (as in beer), but free beer takes far less time to drink (and to recover from the effects).

Thank you for joining me.

*Technically, I have booted Windows twice since installing Linux -- once to convert Email and some other files over, and once to clean up and defragment the hard disk before (unsuccessfully) attempting to read/write NTFS.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home